SunPower Performance solar panels combine conventional cells with SunPower’s 35 years of materials and manufacturing expertise to deliver panels that surpass the performance, reliability and aesthetics of Conventional Panels1Definition of “Conventional Panel” is a 310W panel, 16% efficient, approx. 1.94 m2, made with Conventional Cells. Conventional Cells are silicon cells that have many thin metal lines on the front and interconnect ribbons soldered along the front and back..
Since 2015, innovative shingled cell SunPower Performance panels have been delivering the enhanced reliability and durability that energy providers demand. With more than 3 GW deployed to date, and backed by an international portfolio of patents and patent applications to secure our technology advantage, we expect SunPower Performance panels to be a force in the market for years to come.
Uncompromised performance, exceptional value
Residential rooftop installations
SunPower Performance solar panels deliver premium aesthetics for homeowners, while vastly improving on the quality and reliability of conventional panel offerings.
Commercial rooftop installations
SunPower Performance solar panels help organisations minimize up-front project costs while providing better performance and reliability than conventional panels.
Trusted durability*DNV named SunPower Performance a top performer in all four reliability tests conducted: thermal cycling, damp heat, dynamic mechanical load and potential induced degrad
An innovative shingled cell design re-engineers conventional solar technology for added strength and enhanced performance.
- Aerospace-grade conductive adhesives reinforce cell connections to withstand the stresses of daily temperature swings.
- Redundant cell connections mitigate the impacts of cell cracks on power output by creating flexible paths for electricity flow.
- Proprietary encapsulants protect cells and minimize degradation from environmental exposure.
Video: The hypercell—the unique and innovative backbone behind SunPower® Performance panels maximizes panel durability to drive more energy and greater savings over the life of your system.
The ability to bend where others break
Video: The advanced engineering and material science behind SunPower’s Performance panels (on the left) enables cells to stand up more robustly to mechanical stresses relative to standard front-contact mono PERC cells (on the right). The electroluminescence scans seen here show the results from a force of nearly 400 Newtons being applied to the cells in a test environment.
Proven reliability*DNV named SunPower Performance a top performer in all four reliability tests conducted: thermal cycling, damp heat, dynamic mechanical load and potential induced degrad
Video: Whether from leaves, birds, or neighbouring structures, your installation will ultimately encounter shading. The design and engineering behind your solar panels make a big difference on how reliable they perform when shaded, as well as the savings you’ll see on your electric bill.
In the 2018 DNV GL PV Module Reliability Scorecard, SunPower Performance P19 panels were named as a top performer in all four reliability tests conducted: thermal cycling, damp heat, dynamic mechanical load and potential induced degradation.
SunPower Performance panels, the most deployed shingled solar panel in the world1Based on shipments as of Q2-2020., are backed by the SunPower Complete Confidence Panel Warranty, the industry's most comprehensive warranty coverage2Based on Oct. 2019 review of warranties on manufacturer websites for top 20 manufacturers per IHS 2018..
The all black design of SunPower Performance panels is ideal for residential installations, blending harmoniously into your roof and adding elegance to your home.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do SunPower Performance solar panels differ from Conventional Panels?
- There are a variety of key technical differences between SunPower Performance solar panels and Conventional Panels, including the design and layout of the solar cells, the conductive material used, and the electric architecture—which combine to enhance the reliability, performance and aesthetics of Performance panels.
- To go into a bit more technical detail, first, we laser cut each SunPower Performance cell into six strips and layer them in a shingled configuration to create a ‘hypercell’. This shingled hypercell allows us to fit more active cell area into each panel, boosting power and efficiency. Second, Performance cells are connected with a conductive adhesive borrowed from the aerospace industry to offer multiple and redundant paths for energy flow. This allows us to remove the front contact conductive ribbons and solder bonds found in conventional cells that can block active cell area and deteriorate over time, leading to cell failures and power deficits. Finally, SunPower Performance panels feature a unique parallel circuit architecture that significantly limits power loss in shade and soiling. The result is a superior shingled panel constructed with commodity cells, outperforming conventional panels in efficiency, performance and reliability.
How do SunPower Performance solar panels differ from SunPower® Maxeon® panel technology?
SunPower® Performance solar panels use high efficiency mono PERC cells, as opposed to SunPower's proprietary back contact technology developed for our Maxeon panels.
What is the typical performance advantage gained from using SunPower Performance panels?
We built the Performance solar panels for high reliability, high efficiency and low degradation—driving an estimated 8% more energy yield in a fixed space over the first 25 years of operation when compared to Conventional mono PERC Panels1SunPower 425 W, 20.6% efficient, compared to a Conventional Panel on same-sized arrays (370 W mono PERC, 19% efficient, approx. 1.94 m²), 0.25%/yr slower degradation rate (Jordan, et. al. Robust PV Degradation Methodology and Application. PVSC 2018)..
What is the typical cost advantage of using SunPower Performance panels?
Costs vary from project to project. Performance panels generally have a price point that is competitive with Conventional Panels.